Saturday, April 9, 2011

When you're good, you're good

I managed to get 3 VMware ESX 4.0 servers upgraded to ESXi 4.1, update 1, and all VMs back on-line in 6 hours today.  Of course about an hour and a half of that was driving between sites, so it was really only 4.5 hours.  For those of you in the biz, I was upgrading IBM 3650 M2 servers which take for EVER to reboot, so I think that I did pretty good.  Occasionally ya gotta toot your own horn...otherwise it never gets tooted.

For the last 3 weeks, I've been smelling what seemed to be hot antifreeze when I got out of my car.  I looked, but I never really saw any leaks.  Today, the car made a damned good attempt to overheat.  Fortunately, I was only a few miles from one of the offices I was upgrading, so I managed to limp in without actually overheating.  I let it cool off for about an hour, then added about a gallon or so of water, both in the radiator and the overflow tank.  I guess this means that it's time to again try out the extended warranty I purchased when I bought my car.

I've decided that some of the posts to this blog might end up a bit technical, and will not be coming with explanations of the processes and procedures, except to the level that an IT pro will understand. This is for a number of reasons. One, it's nice to be able to talk the talk without having to provide a layman's level explanation, and two, I might be able to help one of my peers with issues that they may be having.

All that being said, I did get a bit of good news this week.  I've worked with some of the VMWare engineers directly, as my company was the SMB beta tester for VSphere 4. This has led to me being asked to do part of a presentation at Dell EqualLogic's forum in June. This in turn might lead to a repeat at VMWorld in August, which would be just fantastic. Who knew that being egotistical, argumentative, and talkative could be good things?

No comments:

Post a Comment