Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Hubris, anyone?

Ok, so there is a downside to the old self horn-tooting. No, nothing bad happened to my ESXi installs.  As a matter of fact, the auto-update configuration I set up is working wonderfully.  I hope to have our main office updated this coming weekend.  I may even upgrade during the week...something that I can do, as we have a 3 host HA setup, and so I have enough server power to keep us up and working  while upgrading each server.  No, I instead refer to the presentation opportunity at the storage forum in June.  The guy at VMware still wants me to present , but pretty well cut me loose on getting the trip covered by either them or the storage manufacturer.  Of course, since he'd included 2 contacts at the storage company in all of his email, I just hit them up to at least cover the forum for me.  I would think that getting that done shouldn't be a problem, as it's not like they'd be out that much income from allowing me to attend for free.  The rub is getting the invitation, then being told that it'd all be on my dime, if I can't get any slack from the hosting company.  This is the professional equivalent of having to work on the computers of friends and relatives for free...after all, I'm in computers, I should be glad to have the opportunity.

I've decided to modify the name of this blog, and add "and computers" to the title.  After all, cats are supposed to have been considered the familiars of witches, and I've always claimed that computers only work due to demonic influence.  Anyone who has spent an all-nighter trying to figure out why a server upgrade hasn't worked, only to have it miraculously (and seemingly on it's own) start working just as the sun is coming up, and you were about to restore the original configuration knows exactly what I'm talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment