Sunday, May 1, 2011

Water, Water, everywhere!

The Wolf river has crested, and returned to it's banks.  The same cannot be said of the Mississippi, which is busily trying to wash out downtown Memphis. From Paducah on the Ohio and all points south, this is being described as bigger than the flood of '37. As that one took out most towns on the Ohio and the Mississippi, we'll see.  We'll also see if the USACE has learned anything since then about minimizing the damage from such a volume of water.

I'm spending this rainy Sunday upgrading my last 3 ESX hosts to ESXi 4.1, Update 1. I managed to leave the disk that I used to upgrade my remote sites at the apartment, and so far haven't been able to get a good copy burned to use here.  I really don't want to have to go back home and get the one I know works, but somehow I wouldn't be surprised if that turns out to be the case. I consider myself a rational individual, not prone to superstitions, but damned if it doesn't seem like no upgrade can be complete without at least one thing going wrong.  As I've planned this upgrade out pretty well, and have all the documentation of how I need to configure the hosts, it would have to be something silly like a disk not working. Ah, well, so much from rationality.

The Beale Street Music Festival is in full swing, and is getting it's usual monsoon-like rains, just to keep things traditional. The Memphis Grizzlies of the NBA won a first round playoff series for the first time in their existence, beating the San Antonio Spurs.  The Spurs were the top seed, the Grizzlies made the playoffs by the skin of their teeth.  Go figure.

1 comment:

  1. Nope. USACE is wanting to blow the levees above Cairo and flood Missouri. It didn't help at all when they did it in 1937. Seems they didn't learn a thing from that lesson.

    ReplyDelete