Saturday, May 14, 2011

Spring makes a second appearance, and ain't it great!

It's been getting up into the upper 80's around here, with the lows in the 70's.  So, when the high today is only in the mid-60's and it's going to get down into the 40's at night, I'm just loving it. Now, if I were still on the east side of the state, we'd be calling this Blackberry Winter, referring to a cold snap that happens when the blackberrys are in bloom.  Here, the only thing I know is that the apartment benefits from being aired out, and my checking account benefits from having the HVAC shut down.

I've managed to poke fun at Memphis's nickname "the bluff city" quite a few times since moving here, but the flood has made a believer out of me.  The Mississippi is normally about a 1/2 mile wide at Memphis, and when it crested here it was over 3 miles wide.  However, the overflow was almost all on the Arkansas side, with massive flooding there. Here, only some very low-lying trailer parks and a few houses got flooded,  I guess that means that bluffs are in the eye of the beholder, and if the elevation of the city is enough to keep the river at bay, who am I to argue.  Go, Bluff City!

The Grizzlies managed to tie up the second round of the NBA playoffs, 3 games each in their series with the Oklahoma City Thunder.  I didn't watch, as requested by some of my co-workers, as I am the biggest jinx on the planet when it comes to watching/listening to teams I like play.  So, since I didn't even check the score last night while the game was going on, I take full credit for the win.

We interviewed 3 people yesterday for the opening we have at the clinic.  The first 2 had less basic computer skills than my wife, and should go back to school if they actually plan on a career in IT.  The third had good skills, but want's way more than we're willing to pay.  If anyone out there knows of someone just graduating from technincal school, having studied IT, have 'em contact me.  We're really looking for a recent graduate, and someone with less than a year of experience.  In other words, the kind of entry level job people claim you can't find, as most companies insist on at least some actual experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment