Monday, September 5, 2011

Dragon Con, Tendonitis and Tropical Storms

I went to Dragon*Con with my sister Lynn this weekend. Mother of all the gods, what a madhouse! From what I've been told, this was one of the best run Cons ever. That being said, if that was well run, I'd rather run naked through cactus than go to a poorly ran con.

Actually, it wasn't that bad...just huge crowds, the occasional rude behavior, and a lot of drunken behavior as the evening wore on.  The costumes were amazing (including an Elvis Sith Lord!), and the panels I went to were entertaining.  I sat in on panels with Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy from Harry Potter), the cast of the webcast "the Guild", the cast of SyFy's version of "Being Human", all of which were fun.  I hadn't been familiar with "the Guild", which is the brainchild of Felicia Day.  I guess now I've got to start watching.

I also watched a performance of the Atlanta Radio Theater Company doing old fashioned radio shows.  I really enjoyed this (all comedies, of course), and it reminded me of the comedy troupe that I used to love to listen to...The Firesign Theater.  They did the same type thing, with maybe just a touch more professionalism in the writing. I highly recommend their work.

I'm really not that much of a squealing fan type person, but here's a partial list of celebrities that I saw...
James Edward Olmos, Wil Wheaton, Nana Visitor, Nicole de Boer, Lance Hendrickson, Brent Spiner, Nicholas Brendan, Christopher Lloyd, Carrie Fisher, and a bunch more that were sitting around the celebrity room.

The only real downside to this weekend was that I had flair ups of both  my tendonitis and sciatica, mainly Saturday morning during the DragonCon parade. I then discovered that I was on the wrong side of the street during the parade, and couldn't get to the main Con hotels.  This was very annoying, and I'm sorry to say I kinda took some of it out on my poor sister.  However, since this is the first Con she's been to where she got to go to all of the things on her "must do" list, she took it well. Once I was able to get off my feet for a while I got better, and finished the con on an upbeat note.

Without further ado, here's some pictures of the Con...

Sister Lynn as random Elf


Sister Lynn as Professor Trelawney (Harry Potter movies)


Darth Vol


Sister Lynn in Prof. Trelawny costume walking in the parade next to Voldemort


No comments:

Post a Comment