Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The joys of working weekends

So, it's the 24th, and I'm looking forward to a weekend in Arlington this week. Two weekends ago I was on call, and this past weekend we migrated the clinic software to it's new home. I was going to go the the company picnic on Sunday, but I had a failure on our storage area network at our emergency CoLocation site, and so got to spend a chunck of Sunday afternoon swapping out a hard drive in south Memphis.

When I get to Arlington on Friday, it will have been 2 days short of 3 weeks since I've been there. I know that Gayle got rid of the big bush at the side of the house, but don't know if she's tooled around the yard on the mower. If not, I figure the grass will be knee high to a overachieving giraffe. If that's the case, hopefully Saturday will be rainless, so I can get it cut. I really hope it's not too high for me to see the rocks/stumps/etc that dot the landscape.  Oh, yeah, I'll have to get gas, too.

I've gotten really used to driving the pickup, and am amazed at how far you can drive on a full tank of gas.  25 gallons at a whack gives about 100 miles further than I could go on a full tank in the Infiniti...at the cost of 10 additional gallons. Yeah, really sucky gas milage...but that's expected with a V8 powered pickup. The best part of driving it is that you can actually SEE whats around you, both on the road and off. In most sedans, pickups and SUVs block so much of the view, all you get out of most drives is close inspections of large tailgates. All in all, I prefer to be the one being inspected, rather than doing the inspection.

The boys are as contrary as ever. Jules is still a prick, and Mikey has begun to work on a career as spokescat. At least he prowls around the apartment talking, howling, muttering, you name it. When he really gets going, Jules and I just look at each other and shrug, as neither of us have any freaking clue what the hell he's talking about.

Unless something wild and/or exciting happens, I'll update this again after the weekend.

Happy Trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment