Monday, December 19, 2011

twas the Monday before Solstice, and all through the house....

I spent the weekend in Arlington with Gayle and Lola, which actually went pretty well.  I think my mother in law is slowly getting used to me being around, or at least not in mortal terror of me.  I even made her laugh by telling the cat there that she was going to kick his ass.

This cat was Gayle's fathers cat.  Supposedly it was a domesticated kitten, but I think that it was a feral barn kitten that someone gave him. This cat is scared of his own shadow, and flinches at any movement. He actually reminds me of a cat I got as a kid.  We brought it home from my grandmothers in a large cardboard box, and he didn't make a sound the entire 60 mile drive. We got to the house, I opened the box and was greeted by "claws of fury" as the cat made his escape. By the time I'd scabbed over pretty well, he'd let me get close, but not touch.  I never did figure out why he hung around the house there at the beginning, as I expected him to be long gone when he got out of the box.  Instead, he grew to be the best cat of my childhood, a large orange tabby tomcat that kicked the ass of ANY dog stupid enough to come into our yard, and was content to put up with me for petting and play.

All that being said, I think that there may be hope for Stupid...maybe he'll quit flinching and get used to being around people.

No comments:

Post a Comment