Sunday, November 6, 2011

Damn, but I'm out of shape!

I'm sitting here enjoying the end to a nice weekend, and pondering just how badly out of shape I am.

I went to Arlington on Friday night, which was interesting...I kept thinking I'd taken a wrong turn. I hadn't, but the thought stayed with me most of the trip.  More on this later...

I got up early on Saturday, but really didn't get moving much past a shower and making coffee, due to a slight over indulgence in strong drink the night before.  This of course made the work I had planned for Saturday much more interesting than anticipated, but I still got most of the things I'd planned on done.  This was mainly hacking back a huge holly bush, and trimming all of the trees around the house that actually touch the roof, in an attempt to keep the critters out.  The hacking went fine, but the dragging the huge tarp full of trimmings liked to have killed me.  Of course, it didn't help that my right ankle is still playing traitor, and causing massive pain every time I move it wrong. Anyway, I got everything dragged back to the burn pile area, huffing, puffing and sweating like a pig in the 60 degree weather. I've absolutely got to drop this weight, and get back to some semblance of shape.  Granted, I don't expect to be 30 again, but damned if I'll behave as if I'm 70, either!

The visit itself was fun, as it's good to actually be able to spend time with Gayle.  She did go out for about an hour or so on Saturday afternoon, and I think that her mom spent the whole time in terror of this unknown person in her house. I spoke to her every time I came back in from doing the tree thing, and reminded her who I was, but I don't think that she really understood who I was and what I was doing there.  I'll be going  back up for Thanksgiving, and will try to make sure I sit down with her at least a couple of times a day, so that maybe my visits won't be quite so tramatizing. This may be futile, as I'm really not sure just how much of what goes on now actually stays in her memory.  For the most part, I think she's retreated to a time when she was young, capable, and strong.  In other words, anything but the elderly, weak and near helpless woman that she's become. I can't say as I blame her, either.

The drive home was fun...though I did kinda get lost this time, and in broad daylight!  I changed my usual route as I needed gas and breakfast, which was easy to find.  What wasn't was the way back to US 45E, the road I normally travel.  I only added about 45 minutes and associated milage to my trip...live and learn, eh?

Anyway, I've got veggies and round steak in the oven, with about another 40 minutes to cook.  It's already smelling way too good (drool, drool).  Don't you just wish you were here to help eat it?


No comments:

Post a Comment