Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Thursday before the storm

We got our new employee settled in, and he's started to take support calls.  Still a little hesitant, but he'll get over that pretty quick, with the volume of calls we get.

I fly to Orlando on Sunday for the Dell Storage Forum, and can hardly wait.  Of course, not having known when I'd be doing my presentation, I had already scheduled out all the presentations I wanted to hear.  Fortunately, I'm not missing too much during my Tuesday morning spot.  Sheesh, what'll I do if nobody shows up for my part?

My wife posted a picture of her father (90 years old, infirm, shaky grasp of reality) mowing the yard with a push mower.  She's had fits with him insisting that the grass be kept at 1/2" it seems, and that he be the one to do the mowing.  I had the brilliant idea...get him one of those Fisher Price toy mowers that they make for kids.  I wonder if they make them in a senior citizen edition?

Ok, so how do you begin a migration from VMware ESX 4.0 to ESXi 4.1?  Document EVERYTHING about your current environment.  I took screen shots of all the networking configurations, the storage setup, the storage adapters, the licensing, you name it.  If you can see it in vCenter, make sure you have a record of it.  This will make your job so much easier.

After documentation is complete the next thing to do is to schedule the upgrade.  If you're upgrading an existing cluster, you can (if you're brave) upgrade during normal hours.  I did ours on the weekend, with notice to the few that work weekends that outages are possible. If you're upgrading a single host setup, you've no choice but to schedule the work for the off hours, as everything will be down.

Next time...upgrading single host locations.

No comments:

Post a Comment