Thursday, March 1, 2018

What goes around....

So, it's March 1st of 2018.  I'm (again) living apart from Gayle, this time back in Oak Ridge. I've a new job that's going from temp to perm next month at SAIC, and we'll be relocating here permanently. We'll be putting the house in Arlington KY on the market as soon as I can convince Gayle that I really do have a full time job, and that we can survive here.

After all, here's where my family still is, and where Gayle has lots of friends. On top of that, the job is in the same building where I had my first full time IT position, as opposed to doing IT as an afterthought to my "real" job, which I did from the early 80's. Back then nobody except huge corporations had full time IT departments...they had people who would pull the coax cable and connect all the desktops into workgroups. And yes, find the frakin disconnected terminator that somebody didn't like sticking out of the back of their pc.

Part of the delay in moving is that we currently have 5 cats...one a orange tomcat that answers to the name of Stoop (short for stupid, which he isn't). He was my father-in-law's cat, and was the most timid tomcat I'd ever met.  He got over that.

The others are the kids of a little girl that showed up at the Kentucky house one day while I was still living in Memphis.  Even though Gayle knows the "if you feed them, you're theirs" rule with stray kittens, she fell for it. She also didn't get her fixed, so the inevitable happened. To make matters worse, she wouldn't litter train.  This is the only cat I've ever seen that would run away from the box.

She had 4 babies. When they were old enough, I took them to the vet and had them fixed.  The same day I took the momma to be humanely put down, as I couldn't find a home for her.  The girls at the vet's office saved the day, and got her a permanent position as a stable cat, who would get all sorts of attention from the kids that took lessons at the stable. Stoop took over parental duties, and I figured that it would just be a matter of time until they all had new homes.

That'll teach me to figure.  Instead they fully recognized a good thing when they were living it, so we've accepted the reality of belonging to 5 wildly different cats.

I'm going to Arlington tomorrow, so I'll get a bunch of pics to post once I'm back in Oak Ridge on Sunday.

That isn't much after all these years, but it'll have to do for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment